[Freifunk-Bonn] [ath9k-devel] ath9k-issue with stop RX/TX DMA - correlation with WMM traffic classes?

Felix Fietkau nbd at openwrt.org
Fr Apr 12 22:49:32 CEST 2013

On 2013-04-12 6:57 PM, Jan Lühr wrote:
> Hallo Felix,
>
> Am 12.04.2013 um 17:41 schrieb Felix Fietkau:
>> On 2013-04-12 10:27 AM, Rougu wrote:
>>> while I might be totally wrong with my observation, I still would like
>>> to share it, because this issue is lingering for years now and many
>>> users are waiting to a solid grip on it to fix it.
>>>
>>> I'm running several freifunk-nodes in Cologne, Germany, where the
>>> firmware contains a ath9k-watchdog that restarts the node, once the
>>> failure occurs. One of my nodes is affected in varying intervals of 200
>>> .. 10000 seconds uptime, depending on WLAN activity.
>>>
>>> (openwrt, attitude adjustment, kernel 3.3.8)
>> Please also run a test with OpenWrt trunk and compare stability.
>
> thanks for providing feedback on this issue. Please keep in mind
> that using OpenWRT-trunk is not that easy for node operators of freifunk
> networks. I hope Rouge is able to do so - at least we will provide help
> in our Freifunk-Community (kbu).
I'm also considering backporting mac80211 from trunk to AA after the
release (meant for people that build the branch from source, not for a
follow-up release).

> I'd really like to discuss this issue at the upcoming Wireless
> Community Weekend in Berlin - will I meet you there?
Yes, definitely.

> At the moment we really do suffer from excessive driver-woos -
> causing the need to reboot nodes:
> ~ 1450 incidents have been reported within one month
> (http://register.kbu.freifunk.net/watchdog_bites). Some nodes are almost
> DoS'ed by certain - yet undiscovered - clients.
I'm really interested how such a setup behaves with either trunk or a
mac80211 backport to AA. Many fixes were added that could not easily be
backported to AA because they were too intrusive for the release.

- Felix