[Freifunk-Bonn] Q: haveged on MIPS-Systems vs. Cycle-Count == 0

Gary Wuertz gary at issiweb.com
Di Sep 10 17:48:31 CEST 2013

Jan,

Haveged is based on the www.irisa.fr havege project but is different in
many ways. One such difference is that haveged will use use the
clock_gettime() system call in circumstances where a hardware timer such
as rdtsc cannot be used (such as MIPS). Since the resolution of
clock_gettime() varies widely from implementation to implementation, the
internal self test feature ensures that the timer resolution is
sufficient for haveged output to pass the built-in version of the AIS-31
statistical test suite - by default, AIS-31 procedure A and procedure B
are run at initialization, and AIS-31 procedure B is run continuously
for all subsequent output. This means for haveged version > 1.5, all
haveged output fed into /dev/random has an empirical entropy estimate
(Coron's method) of > 7.967 bits / byte and passes other AIS-31 tests or
haveged throws a fatal error.

As the upstream, I don't know exactly what you have on hand. The best
way to determine what you have is to execute haveged with additional
arguments -r1 -v1

Note that for MIPS versions less that 1.7c, internal self test is broken
(various data alignment problems).

AFAIK, there is no haveged mailing list. I will be glad to answer any
other questions you have.

-Gary